We have added a second version of our popular inmate kiosks. Our traditional inmate kiosk features a 19″ screen and is powered with a 115V connection along with ethernet or LAN to transmit data. Our new version is a POE (power over Ethernet) which requires a ethernet connection POE + (30W). The savings in installation cost and time can be significant (especially in larger institutions). Our POE Kiosk uses an ELO iSeries-Android OS 10″ All-In-One touch computer. Check us out at bruinkiosk.com or send us an email at email@example.com or give us a call at 910.280-0222 to learn more about all of our correctional kiosks. Click Here to View Inmate Kiosk-POE Brochure
Tag Archives: Correctional Kiosk
Inmate Kiosks for Commissary Orders-Key Design Parameters
Commissary companies need a way to receive orders from inmates. Most prisons and jails have long since left “order slips” and moved on to self- service kiosks. Use of an inmate kiosk and the appropriate software helps to automate the process of placing orders. A more efficient process helps to generate more sales with less administration costs. An inmate kiosk may seem like a slam dunk, but what design characteristics should you look for in your inmate kiosk. Here are some key points to consider:
1. Inmate Safety-Prisons are not the best environment to deploy kiosks. You want to make sure the kiosk cabinet is of a rugged design. You also want to avoid kiosks which have open wiring terminal blocks inside. Power bricks to supply DC power instead of a common terminal strip lessens the chance for electrical problems, especially is liquid is “accidently” introduced to the cabinet.
2. Privacy-What is the area like where the kiosks are deployed? Is there an issue with inmates taking passwords? You may want to consider the use of privacy screens if your software requires use of a password instead of a card reader or other method to access an individual’s account.
3. Installation-Installation costs are just that…costs. You want a kiosk that can be installed with one person. You need multiple ways to hand the kiosk depending on the mounting surface and you should look for a design that gives you various options on where to introduce electrical conduit and/or hookups.
4. Serviceability-Prisons and jails are not the easiest place to get service people inside to work on a unit. A good kiosk inmate design will use mounting designs that allow you to remove the computer or monitor quickly and do a swap in place to get the kiosk back on line.
5. Rugged components-Almost all of the premier computer companies and monitor companies supply product with standard three year warranties. Insist on this level of quality when shopping for your inmate kiosks.
At Bruin Kiosk we have a complete line of commissary or correctional kiosks. Please visit our site or give us a call to discuss your inmate or other correctional kiosk needs.
Bruin Kiosk makes a complete line of prison or jail kiosks. These kiosks are used to manage inmate funds and can also be used for commissaries and email applications. Our correctional kiosks feature a rugged design that is easy to service. We use full computers instead of motherboards like many of our competitors. We also feature full size 19”monitors on our correctional kiosks. Our computers and monitors are high quality and come with three year warranties.
The most common correctional kiosk is the booking kiosk. The booking kiosk is used to deposit inmate funds. The booking kiosk usually features a bill and coin acceptor, touchscreen monitor, receipt printer and computer. Options can include a magnetic stripe card reader and security camera. We also manufacture kiosks for large institutions which feature bulk coin and/or bulk note acceptors to handle large amounts and help speed the booking process. The kiosk can be fitted with a custom graphic overlay to brand your kiosk and provide use instructions. Dual exterior door locks and inside locking security doors for the coin/bills are standard.
Lobby kiosks are used by visitors to deposit funds in inmate accounts. Lobby kiosks have many of the same components as the booking kiosk. Our standard model includes bill acceptor, touchscreen monitor, receipt printer, magnetic stripe reader, and computer. Options include custom graphic and security camera. Coin acceptors are not usually put in lobby kiosks. Dual exterior door locks and inside locking security doors for the coin/bills are standard.
Inmate kiosks are used by the inmates to order commissary items and/or send/receive emails. Our inmate kiosk features a sloped front for easy use and viewing. Our standard inmate kiosk comes with a touchscreen and computer. Our inmate kiosk features a removable front door which holds the computer and touchscreen. The exterior cabinet is light and has pre drilled standard mounting holes. The advantage of this design is it allows for easy single person wall mounting. The wide bottom of our sloped style allows for this unit to be table or shelf mounted as an option. We also have a keyboard option for inmate email.
Our windows based systems can be used with all the major prison software systems. If you don’t have a software system or commissary vendor, we have partners that we would be happy to recommend.